What I read: Week of November 19

I read a ton of articles every week, and I don't save most of them in any formal way, so I decided I might as well collect them here. Categories are not mutually exclusive nor exhaustive. Peep what I'm reading this week:

Baltimore
Baltimore Confronts Enduring Racial Health Disparities (Nonprofit Quarterly): “Although 97 percent of health-care dollars are spent on the health-care system, only 10 percent of what determines life expectancy actually happens ‘within the four walls of a clinic.’ The other 90 percent is decided upstream, where people live, work, go to school, and spend their free time.”

Teaching to the whole student
How Professors Can Bring Culturally-Responsive Teaching to Online Courses (EdSurge): This is relevant to a current Twitter debate on whether laptop bans are discriminatory towards students with disabilities (they are, but schools have Offices of Disability Services to grant exemptions).

Educators Can't Help Homeless Students If They Can't Identify Them (EdSurge): Homeless students often try to hide their status due to stigma or fear of being placed in foster care. Schools discourage them from reporting because the law (Mckinney-Vento Act) requires them to provide support but does not fund that support.

How To Measure Success Without Academic Achievement (EdSurge): "The vast majority of us believe that educational programs should have an impact on more than students’ academic achievement, but the problem is that we rarely measure the success of our programs on metrics other than test scores. The key now is to start a broader conversation about what constitutes a successful learning program—personalized or otherwise—and identify metrics we can use to measure that success."

Miscellaneous education topics
Spotting the 2017 Trends That Fuel Edtech Innovation and Investments (EdSurge): Top five trends. AI grading seems like a complicated version of a multiple choice test. /just kidding

Americans Agree: Higher Education is Crucial (Third Way): "58% of Republicans now say colleges and universities are having a 'negative effect on the way things are going in the country.'" That's disturbing, but Americans agree that higher education is a reliable pathway to a good job.

Felt theory
Felt Theory: An Indigenous Feminist Approach to Affect and History (Wicazo Sa Review, paid access): I loved Eve Tuck's Suspending Damage: A Letter to Communities so much that I followed her on Twitter. Tuck posted about Dian Million's felt theory this week. Canada used to have a policy of residential assimilated-education for Indigenous students, and another policy that forced a patriarchal hierarchy and sexist marriage laws onto Indigenous communities. First Nations women spoke out about their "felt experiences" and fomented a "decolonialism" movement. Million writes that colonialist policies breed individual trauma. The felt experiences of trauma survivors are silenced by academics, who dismiss the narratives as subjective. She writes, "But what is objective except Western science’s own wet dream of detached corporeality?" Million posits that activist movements are a method for both healing trauma and halting the perpetuation of trauma.

Neo-Nazis (responses to this week's heinous New York Times profile)
Nazis Are Just Like You and Me, Except They're Nazis (The Atlantic): Argh, this satire was almost perfect, except for the cheap sitcom sexism.

The Making of an American Nazi (The Atlantic): Gross.

Pop culture
10 Long Years of Trying to Make Armie Hammer Happen (Buzzfeed): Downplaying privilege hinders us from creating a more equitable society. Also, Armie Hammer is boring.

Startups and tech
The Tech Industry's Gender-Discrimination Problem (New Yorker): Overview.

Workforce
Skills gap or communications gap? (Community College Daily): Employers say they can't find skilled workers to hire. The Colorado Community College System awards "badges" to students who demonstrate competency in certain skills, and these badges result in positive job outcomes.

Not finished yet
Supporting Community College Delivery of Apprenticeships (Jobs for the Future)

Books
Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut
Today Will Be Different by Maria Semple
The Givers: Wealth, Power, and Philanthropy in a New Gilded Age by David Callahan


Popular posts from this blog

ASEAN 2017 Part One: Bali